Getting started with Oracle BI Baseline Validation Tool
Oracle BI Baseline Validation Tool (BVT) is a command-line utility tool that enables you to perform regression testing on Oracle BI presentation catalogs from any two compatible Oracle
BI systems. The tool is used to extract catalog data from each system and to generate comparison files. A comparison analyses of the files is conducted to determine whether any changes/differences exist and/or errors.
The tool comes bundled in the OBIEE 12C client install files. They can be found in the following location: OBIEE 12C Client Tools
- Java 1.6 or higher
- Windows 7 or higher, or Windows Server 2012 or higher (64Bit)
- Oracle Linux 6 U5 or Oracle Linux 7
- Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer
How to use Oracle BI Baseline Validation Tool
The BVT has to be run three times:
1. PreUpgrade or PrePatch run to collect the original instant baseline.
2. PostUpgrade or PostPatch run to collect the modified, patched or upgraded instant.
3. Comparison report run which runs a comparison between the results of the two previous runs and generates a results report.
Modify the testconfig.xml file: WIP
The following test parameters must be modified in order to specify the two web cat instances that are to be compared:
Enable/disable test plug-ins
Test plug-ins are comparison tasks that can be activated or deactivated before executing the script. The plug-ins below are in the testconfig.xml file that performs comparison tasks on the Web catalog:
- Catalog plug-in: Counts and compares the number of metadata/Web catalog objects in the Web catalog folders.
- UI plug-in [oracle.biee.bvt.plugin.ui]: Takes screenshots of analyses and dashboards for comparisons.
- Reports plug-in [oracle.biee.bvt.plugin.report]: Exports the results of the analyses to CSV and performs comparisons.
- Logical query plug-in [oracle.biee.bvt.plugin.logicalquery]: Takes copies of the logical queries for comparison with logical queries in post patch instant.
- Dashboard plug-in [oracle.biee.bvt.plugin.dashboard]: Exports XML for dashboards to conduct comparisons on a second OBIEE instant.
Add specific prompt values for testing
In order for specific prompt values to be used in the test, the values have to be provided in the DashboardPrompts.txt file. So how do you specify prompt values to use for the test?
1.Navigate to the dashboard(s) to be tested.
2. Supply the needed prompt values on dashboard prompts and apply.
3. Edit the page options and choose Create Prompted Link.
4. Copy the URL in the address bar.
5. Paste the URL into the DashboardPrompts.txt file. If more than one dashboard is tested, repeat the above steps. Each prompted URL must be on a separate line.
Capture the baseline PreUpgrade instant
In order to capture the baseline, we need to run the first parameter of the testconfig.xml file and in this case, it’s the PreUpgrade parameter of the testconfig.xml file.
This is done by executing the following command:
Bin\obibvt -config testconfig.xml -deployment PreUpgrade
Once the PreUpgrade run is complete, the following subfolders are created under a directory named after the deployment name, which in this case is: Results\PreUpgrade.
Once this run is complete, the result(s) of all test(s) completed will be stored under the proper baseline deployment name, which in this case is: PreUpgrade.
Capture the baseline PostUpgrade instant
In order to capture the baseline, we need to run the first parameter of the testconfig.xml file, in this case, it’s the PostUpgrade parameter of the testconfig.xml file.
This is done by executing the following command:
Bin\obibvt -config testconfig.xml -deployment PostUpgrade
Once the PostUpgrade run is complete, the following subfolders are created under a directory named after the deployment name, which in this case is: Results\PostUpgrade.
Once this run is complete, the result(s) of all test(s) completed will be stored in under the proper baseline deployment name, which in this case is: PostUpgrade.
Run a comparison report: WIP
Once the collection of the baselines is completed, we can run a comparison between the two different sets of test results to pinpoint differences, inconsistencies, data issues and/or missing items etc. The comparison can be run by using the following command:
ults Results/PreUpgrade Results/PostUpgrade -config Testconfig.xml
This command will run a comparison process between the PreUpgrade and the PostUpgrade files under the D:\OBI-Client-18.104.22.168.0\bi\components\oracle.bi.bvt\Results and the result comparison file will be located in a directory that gets created. The directory is called Comparison and it’s located in D:\OBI-Client-22.214.171.124.0\bi\components\oracle.bi.bvt
Need help? Have questions? Contact Corporate Technologies for IT support when you need it. We have qualified and certified engineers trained in Oracle BI solutions ready to assist you.